Sunday, May 13, 2012

What I've learned as a Mother

In the past four months I have been praying that the Lord would tell me how He see's me as a mother.  I have wanted to know what He thinks of me.  I have wondered if I am doing this right, am I being all my children need me to be?  Am I gentle enough?  Patient enough?  Am I teaching them enough?  And in case I had any other lingering questions about my role as a mom I can just jump on facebook or pinterest to learn about the things other people are doing with their kids that I am failing at.  Looking around at other mom's who seem to have it more together than I do or seem to have better craft projects or more teaching moments has left me wondering if I am all that I should be.

Yesterday I got my answer.  It was like a ton of bricks hit me all at once.  It was clear as day to me and the questions were lifted.  "Emily, I have given these children to you, no one else, because you are what they need.  They need your personality, your spirit, not someone else's."  I picked my shoulders up and instantly felt the Lord's confidence in me and my abilities.

I am loud.  I am always on the go.  I am gentle.  I am loving.  I try to use every moment to teach.  I want my girls to have the best of everything.  I pray for them.  I play with them.  I discipline.  I make sure their little hands are clean and their tummy's are full.  I take pictures.  I help them remember.  I am patient.  I dance.  I sacrifice.  I sing off key. I say no to things so I can say yes to my girls.  I am their mother and I am good at my job.

My house is a mess.  I usually only shower once every three days.  I don't wear designer anything.  I bump into things with our giant stroller.  I am clumsy.  Sometimes dinner is spaghetti, for the third time that week.  I allow nap time to dictate my day.  I wipe runny noses with my t-shirt and then forget to change my clothes until bed time.  I labored with one daughter for 15 hours and the other for 7.  I gave birth with an epidural and without one.  I haven't eaten any food with dairy in it for 4 months so that my youngest can continue to breastfeed.  I don't get paid for my work and I am ok with that.  I am a young mother of two and I am very good at what I do.

So what have I learned as a young mother?  Drown out the voices of others who say you aren't good enough; magazines, the internet, and well meaning friends.  Let your house be a mess, it will be clean in 20 years and then you will miss the chaos.  Showering is overrated.  My personality is perfect for my girls. They love me for me. Alone time is ok and kisses really are the best medicine.        
Some of my favorite moments as a mom:
Norah and Me

Abigayle and Me


Both my girls

Pure sweetness

2 comments:

Mom said...

Sweet Sweet Pictures!! I was just encouraging a mom friend today who served herself breakfast in bed on Mothers Day: "Breakfast in bed served for me, by me!” Sounds like a Reality greeting card instead of a Hallmark mushy one!

Motherhood taps us to be all wise, all compassionate, all discerning….when in fact we are ‘all human’ and just doing the best we can!

Other moms may 'look perfect' in pictures (FB) or on paper (in pinterest) but I guarantee they all have good and bad days just like the rest of us!

Enjoy your sweet girls - and yes, they were perfectly made for you and you for them! You are teaching Norah how to make coffee and she isn't even 2! Now THAT's an Awesome mom!

hisartistaj said...

I cried when I read this post, (not just pregnancy hormones) and I can so relate. I do the comparing too, and realize how it doesn't help in my insecurities of being a mother. I love being a mom, but there are times I feel so illequipted. I want to do everything right, and get frustrated when the day didn't go as planned, or that I feel my house will never be clean again, will errands ever completely finished, or will wash be all folded and clean...right now its in a clean pile on my floor, and has been for almost a week. I felt discouraged when I don't know what to make for dinner, and revert to breakfast for dinner again... but! I love my son, I love being my son's mom. Life isn't picture perfect, but enjoying the moments of tea time with your girls is what make moments perfect and special. Your post is beautiful. and I know you are an AMAZING mom! :)