What a great day. No fancy pictures, no videos to capture the moments; just us and it's locked away in my memory.
I have been sick for nearly a week now and not many signs are pointing to my getting better so when I woke up again still feeling icky, I was sure it was going to be another long, hard day. Quite the opposite.
The beauty of being sick is that you are forced to slow down. Not so many items are allowed on your check list, only the most important. And today all that was on there was, "keep the girls alive and spend some time with them". Ok, I didn't really write that on my list, but it's pretty much a given for everyday.
Norah seemed a little bored. Once again she was stuck in our hotel room waiting for mommy to get better. Stuck entertaining herself while mommy was coughing to death in the bathroom. Finally, I emerged and found the poor girl just sitting on a box in the living room. Quite content actually. I had used up all my reserves. I had no more toys to pull out, no more books hidden away, no videos unwatched. Then it struck me, Tea Party! I grabbed some mugs from the kitchen, some small plates, spoons, a Pyrex measuring cup (for the tea pot) and some Saltine crackers. We spread a blanket on the floor and sat down. Norah had no idea what was happening, but she was excited! She loves pouring things so she poured some water from the measuring cup into the mug. I showed her how we use our spoons to mix our tea and then we sip. She was in Heaven! She loved using her spoon to mix her tea and then sip her water. She poured it back into the "tea pot" a few times but hey, nothing wrong with that! I showed her how we can also eat our crackers. When mine was gone she handed me the one she had taken a bite out of and ran to grab herself a new one. There was no major conversation (mostly due to the fact that I have NO voice) but the moments, the looks, were priceless.
Earlier in the day, when Norah was sleeping, Abby and I just sat on the floor. I blew bubbles and she blew them back. Some giggling was involved but mostly we just enjoyed blowing and looking. She is such a sweet baby girl. She just wants to hang out, be talked to and sometimes play some games.
Later we all ventured out to Wal-mart, I needed a few things and we could all use a little break from the hotel room. After checking out on our way to the car I spotted one of those little carousel rides. I asked Norah if she wanted to get on, to which she quickly said, "YES!" I got her on and as I was about to drop the quarter in Norah said she wanted Abby to ride too. Norah is always very concerned that Abby be included. So I stuck Abby on a horse and walked with her, looking back at Norah. She was loving it!! When we were done she asked to ride again and I had to tell her no. She spotted a little car racing game and with excitement exclaimed, "pretend driving!". (Can you tell we let her 'pretend drive' a few times on the way down here?) I let her go sit on the game for a few minutes and pretend to drive.
It was a wonderful day "at work" with my girls. I just had to capture the memory on paper.
1 comment:
Love it! Those are those special life moments to capture in memory!
Post a Comment