Friday, January 27, 2012

Wanna Know What's Really Going On?

The other day Norah had spilled her Cheerios all over our bedroom floor. In an attempt to not have her step on it and grind it into the carpet, I swooped her up and shut the door. I had every intention of getting back to it and vacuuming, I really did. However, the end of the day rolled around and Dave came home from work, kissed his girls and went to our room to change. He opened the door and took one step when I heard a crunch! “What happened here?” he very nicely asked. “Oh yeah! Well, that was my day” I replied.

Yesterday Norah dropped her milk and it slowly started dripping in to our air vent. Our house was built in 1923 so our air vents are about 5 times the size you see today. I had to pull the grate off and clean out the milk before the lovely smell of rotting milk seeped into our home.

A couple nights ago when Dave had to be at work at 4:50am, Abigayle (who has been a great night time sleeper) woke up at 12:30, 2:30 and 3:30; then Norah woke up at 4:30 yelling, "Butt, Butt, Butt!!" which means she wants her diaper changed. Needless to say I didn't sleep much at all and nothing got done the next day.

This is our life. Most days I am exhausted, never get half the things done I wish I had and I feel totally inadequate and ill-equipped. I don’t get a lunch break or even a coffee break and whoever started the “sit at home, watch soaps and eat bons bons all day” quote, was a fool. A lot of days we will sit at dinner and Dave will ask what we did that day and all I can reply with is "we survived".

I don’t mean to complain. We chose this lifestyle and we are happy with it. I just don’t want to only blog about how wonderful life is and how happy go lucky we are. Most days life is filled with a screaming baby and another who needs a little disciplining. Parenting is hard and trying to be everything to everyone is even harder.

So, just to help me remember these moments and to give other young moms some grace and help, here are a few snapshots of what life really looks like at the Jackson house.





2 comments:

Mom said...

You're right! All the mess DOES NOT matter...and it will be with you a long time so learn to consider it a friend and just be glad for less messy days than usual!

Mom said...

Oh...and you are anything BUT inadequate and ill-equipped. You are one of the smartest, prettiest, most capable and most loving young mothers I know! And, when you are aren't giving to your husband or children, you are giving of yourself to others. It is easy to understand why you are tired but you ALWAYS get the most important thing done every day....loving your precious baby girls and your husband....the rest is just fluff!