Thursday, August 29, 2013

Life Unplanned

It's been a while since I blogged!  Life has been busy raising my girls, supporting my husband as he completed his Master's and finding time in life to rest.  I don't know if I will be back on a regular basis, but something is on my heart and I wanted to share.

For those that don't know, we are expecting baby #3 in Jan!  As with our two previous children, this came as a happy surprise.  Three kids 3 and under?  I must be insane. Or at least dislike sleep. Now that I am starting to show, those are the comments and looks I get from strangers at the store and even some of my friends.  Let me take you back to my life 4 years ago.

It was all planned out.  I had a job, just paid off all my student loans and thus my husband and I were now a 2 income family with NO debt!  Well, except for the house, but I don't really count that.  I was 26, had received promotions at two different jobs and felt I reached my professional goals.  Then came the topic of kids.  Were we ready?  (Is anyone ever?)  Something inside me started to stir and suddenly I noticed babies everywhere!  I couldn't get away from them.  In the spring of 2009, after my husband returned from an extended work trip we had a long talk, prayed and decided that it was time to start trying for kids.  Months went by and there was no pregnancy.  That summer was just the beginning of my total dependence on God and the lack of being able to plan my life.  Up until that point I generally did what I wanted and got what I wanted, when I wanted it.  This was totally out of my control.  I finally gave up.  A dear, sweet friend prayed over me one night and at the end of her prayer she said she felt like God gave her the word "surprise".  Honestly my reaction was "well that's stupid, we are trying to have kids, it obviously won't be a surprise!"

A few months later my husband was due to leave for a work trip, come home for a few days and then leave again on an extended trip.  I figured the timing wasn't right and we would try again when he got back.  Four days after he left I got a huge surprise, a positive pregnancy test. I will never forget his face as I told him via Skype (thank you technology!!).  Nine months later we had our first baby girl in our arms.  And as any first time parent knows, life became unraveled.  Nothing was planned, everything was chaotic and life was a general blur.

When Norah was 7 months old and I finally felt like I had my feet under me again, I started to feel funny. That's right, pregnant again.  Once again, I remember telling Dave and the huge smile that crept across his face.  My smile was much more timid, nervous; this was not in my plans.

If you had asked me 5 years ago I would have told you I wanted all my kids 2.5-3 years apart.  I would have 2 boys, a girl and another boy, just like it was in my family.  This pregnancy, I was desperate for another girl.  I loved how Norah had changed me and it just had to be another girl.

Sweet baby Abby, my surprise is so many ways, gave me another surprise 9 months later.  A child birth with no epidural, another thing that I had not planned.  (Yes, it was incredibly painful)

My world was rocked again.  In a matter of 2 years I had gone from wanting a baby to suddenly having two babies and with an age gap I would have never predicted.

Now baby #3 is on its way and will be 27 months younger than Abigayle.  I truly could not be happier.   Proverbs 16:9 says, "In his heart a man plans his course but the Lord directs his steps."  I think I should make it my life verse.  I'm a really good planner.  In fact, I made a living planning things for other people.  However, God is better.  His plans are so much more fulfilling and amazing.

I would just like to leave you with this: make some plans for your life, dream big and ask God for the desires of your heart, but then don't be surprised when He gives you something better and rocks your world.  I have three little blessings to prove that God's plans are so much more amazing than my own.



No comments: