It started on the Saturday before my big day. I went out for my day as I had originally planned, running errands and got a massage. I came home and the house looked like it had been set up for a party. I panicked. Dave told me that he couldn't let me turn 30 without a little something. I freaked out. Not because I was happy, but now I was suddenly very stressed out. Party planning is my thing, as in when I earned a paycheck, I was an event planner! And while my husband is awesome at a lot of things, hosting large groups isn't one of them (and he freely admits this). I looked around the house and saw clutter, asked Dave if he had enough food, and generally felt my heart rate rapidly increasing. He told me to calm down and go take a shower. I went to the bathroom and tried really hard to relax, but I couldn't. I stood in the bathroom, totally frozen for about 30 min. I am not a spontaneous person, I need to know the plan and not knowing it threw me off, big time. Dave and I actually ended up in an argument and me crying. In hindsight, it was silly, but I'll call it my last temper tantrum as a child (because now that I'm 30, I'm officially all grown up).
Then people began showing up and I just felt totally awkard. Here I am, almost 30 and just threw a giant temper tantrum and now had to change my face and get excited. And really, I was so nervous. I knew he had something up his sleeve.
A few minutes later he made me stand up in the middle of my living room and look outside. There it was, a long black limo. He said he remembered me telling him that the limo I got for my sweet 16 was one of my favorite birthdays. My girlfriends and I pilled in and we were off, to some place, but at this point I didn't care. He had put so much thought (and work!) into the entire thing, and 30 min before I was being a baby. We ended our hour long drive at Red Robin (don't laugh, I love that place) and met up with our husbands and kids for a fun-filled dinner. And my birthday didn't stop there.
The big day rolled around and I laid in bed around 7:30 that morning. I could hear Dave getting ready for work and Norah yelling down the stairs that she's "awake now". I knew needed to drag myself out of bed, but I am SO bad at that and really bad at it on my birthday. I could hear Dave go upstairs and get Norah and start to feed her breakfast. I thought it was a tad odd, but depending on his work schedule that day, sometimes he'll stay home a little longer so I can sleep. Then at 8 he came into our room with a tray full of food not wearing his work clothes. He had made me a HUGE breakfast in bed and taken the day off work! Shocked, I tell you; I was shocked!
Then we all enjoyed the day together. We went to the Children's Museum, came home and rested, I got a few fun projects completed, we went and got my new camera (yea! thanks mom) and then out to dinner at a new local place. THEN (yes, more) we came home and Dave baked me a cake and gave my presents. It was perfect. And you know what? I do actually feel different. Suddenly it's like I know what matters in life. I'm more confident of my choices, my mothering, my life. 30 isn't so bad, I actually kind of like it.





No comments:
Post a Comment